Official Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred Forum
Official Int. Sacred Forum > English Community > Sacred 2: Fallen Angel > S2 Technical Questions > General Technical  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05.12.2009, 09:36   (permalink) #1
Trilkin
Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Trilkin Send a message via MSN to Trilkin Send a message via Yahoo to Trilkin
INSTRUCTIONS: How to get Sacred 2 (US) working with Ice and Blood (UK)

[IN THE CASE THAT THIS GETS NUKED: This guide is mirrored on Dark Matters.]

ANNOUNCEMENT: You can still purchase Ice and Blood in the US through Nexway and Deep Silver's UK shop, but the links from the Sacred2.com homepage no longer take you there directly. Here are the links:

Nexway Shop
DeepSilver UK Shop

Despite what Deep Silver and NexWay like to try to tell you, it's absolutely possible to play I&B with your US copy of the game - even online! From what I can tell, it's also completely legal as well, but scroll down to the appendix if you're curious on my thoughts of that. There's also an on-going debate in this thread as to the legality, but the ultimate answer is 'we have no idea.' We won't know until someone from Ascaron tells us.

Anyway, let's get to it, shall we?

For a brief note, when I enclose things in single or double quotes, type or look for what is between those quotes, but not the quotes themselves.

-= PATCHING TO 2.40 =-

For the purposes of cleanliness (which is next to godliness,) you may want to do this with a fresh install of Sacred 2. If you want to risk it on an existing install, it should still probably work fine, but these instructions assume you're installing this on top of a fresh install.

First, without changing anything, download the 2.40 full US patch from here. Go get a cup of coffee and wait as it installs.

Is it done? Okay. Now comes the fun part!

-= PREPARATION TO INSTALL ICE AND BLOOD: LOCALE FOLDERS =-

With 2.40 installed, go to your Sacred 2 folder.

(32-bit Windows Users)
The default folder is C:\Program Files\cdv Software Entertainment USA\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel if you use a 32-bit version of Windows in any flavor.
(End 32-bit Specific Instructions)

(64-bit Windows Users)
If you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, most commonly Vista or Windows 7 users, it will be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\cdv Software Entertainment USA\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel instead. Note the (x86) part of the folder.
(End 64-bit Specific Instructions)

Beneath that folder will be a bunch of other folders. The one we're interested in at the moment is locale. Go into that folder. Under locale, you will see the en_US folder. Rename this folder to en_UK. Keep this folder open, because we will be changing it back to en_US when we're finished, but for right now, leave it minimized.

-= PREPARATION TO INSTALL ICE AND BLOOD: REGISTRY EDITS =-

This part might be tricky to the non-computer literate, so I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible.

DISCLAIMER: FROM HERE, YOU WILL BE EDITING THE WINDOWS REGISTRY. EDITS TO ANY OTHER VALUES OTHER THAN THE ONES I TELL YOU TO EDIT MAY RESULT IN YOUR COMPUTER EXPLODING INTO CONFETTI. BE CAREFUL WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY.

Go the Start Menu, click run, type in 'regedit' and then click OK.

If you are using Windows 7 you can simply type 'regedit' into the search bar at the bottom of the Start Menu for the same effect.

You should have a window with two panes and a toolbar.

The left pane will have a bunch of folders marked with scary names.

The one you're interested in opening is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

This will open another set of folders.

From here, the folder you will want to expand is SOFTWARE.

(32-bit Windows Users)
If you are using a 32-bit version of Windows, then you will immediately see Ascaron Software as a folder beneath the SOFTWARE folder.
(End 32-bit Specific Instructions)

(64-bit Windows Users)
If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, you will not see Ascaron Software's folder right away and will need to open the WOW6432NODE folder beneath the SOFTWARE folder first before you will see Ascaron Software.
(End 64-bit Specific Instructions)

From there, you will have a Sacred 2 folder, which is the one you will want to select.

There are several values within this folder, but we are only interested in changing two of them: Language and Speech. They are set to en_US, and you want them to be set to en_UK. Simply double click on one of the values to change them.

When both values are set to en_UK, you are finished with regedit and can safely close this window.

-= INSTALL ICE AND BLOOD =-

You've now fooled the Ice and Blood installer into thinking that you actually have the UK version of Sacred 2.

Now, run the Ice and Blood installer. This will take longer than the 2.40 patch due to the amount of time it takes to verify the files after patching. Go watch an episode of House M.D. while you wait.

-= CLEAN UP =-

When it's finished, your steps from here will differ depending on whether you are using Windows 7 or not.

(WINDOWS 7 USERS ONLY)
If you are using Windows 7, then you will want to install the 2.65.1.0 patch from this link. If you do not, you will not be able to play as the Dragon Mage, nor will your game save settings or be otherwise stable! This is an extremely important step if you are using Windows 7, so DO NOT SKIP IT. DO NOT use the Compatibility Mode instructions that are floating around the forum neither - this will make activating your copy of Ice and Blood IMPOSSIBLE, leaving you unable to play.

A note to keep in mind is that you will NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY ONLINE with the 2.65.1.0 patch on the US servers, as the US servers haven't been updated to this patch yet. You can enter the lobby, but no games will be available to enter nor will there be any servers available to create.

When the 2.65.1.0 patch is finished, return to the "locale" folder which you had minimized earlier.
(END WINDOWS 7 SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS)

Rename en_UK to en_US or you will not have any text or movies in your game.

Click 'back' to the "Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel" folder and then enter the "scripts" folder. From here, you will want to open the "optionsDefault.txt" file.

Change the 'lobby_ip' setting to 'us.sacred2.net' then change the 'lobby_port' setting to '6900'

Save the file when you're done.

Launch Sacred 2 and follow the instructions to activate it.

(FOR MULTIPLAYER PLAYERS)
When you try to log on to the multiplayer servers for the first time, it will ask you for your Ice and Blood key, which will bind it to your account. If you intend on getting the UK version of Sacred 2 vanilla for WHATEVER reason, do -NOT- do this. Once you bind the key to your account, you cannot bind it to another without going through Ascaron, so be careful. If you intend on staying with the US version all the way through, then go ahead and input the key. Note again that if you are using Windows 7, you will NOT be able to play on the closed servers yet.
(END MULTIPLAYER SPECIFIC NOTES)

You're done! Have fun!

-= APPENDIX/IMPORTANT INFO =-

Whenever you want to patch Sacred 2: Ice and Blood when using this set up, you will have to change the en_US locale folder back to en_UK BEFORE the patch. After you patch, you will have to change it back to en_US. If you do not, the patch will likely error out and call you mean words, and if you forget to change it back, you will have no text in game at all. Note that you never have to touch the registry ever again, though.

Note also that in order to actually patch your version of Sacred 2: Ice and Blood, you MUST DOWNLOAD THE PATCHES MANUALLY from update.sacred2.com. Be sure to click on the United Kingdom flag, not the United States flag when getting your patches. You must treat your install as if it were a UK version.

The patcher that comes with the US version of Sacred 2 WILL NOT WORK with the UK version of Ice and Blood as of this posting. It MAY change in the future, which will require a registry edit again to change the Speech and Language locales back to en_US in order to use the patcher, but after that, it will require no round-about patching techniques and you can treat it as if it were a normal, US install.

I'm not sure about the legality of using the US version of Sacred 2 and the UK version of Ice and Blood, but I personally don't think there is anything wrong with it. You've purchased both products legally from two different publishers who... quite frankly are terrible. Not only that, but the US servers actually DO have expansion games available to play, so it seems that Ascaron does not have a problem with this set up. A thing to also keep in mind is that you are making no modifications to the actual game or patcher - you are merely renaming folders and changing settings in order for the patcher to actually recognize your installation.

When playing on Ascaron's servers, you must understand that the servers you are allowed to go on depend on where you bought the ORIGINAL Sacred 2, not the expansion. If your original copy of Sacred 2 is a US copy, then you will only be able to play on US servers, no matter what version of the expansion you have, which is why it is important to change the lobby_ip and lobby_port settings back to match the US lobby. If you don't, it will tell you that your key is invalid.

I hope this helps you guys get your games working!

Last edited by Trilkin : 08.12.2009 at 04:48.
Trilkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05.12.2009, 15:08   (permalink) #2
gogoblender
shiny happy pantless person
Curate

Cool info. We have a lot of peeps from States who want to get Ice and Blood. If you have time, think you could bring this over to our Guides section here at DarkMatters ?:

Sacred 2 Guides General

There's a lot already in that section, but we're going to make a game resources section soon.

Cheers Trilkin!

gogo
Old 05.12.2009, 15:18   (permalink) #3
Valdore
Champion

Impressive workaround though I would be concerned with legality assuming/suspecting that Deep Silver's edition of Sacred2: Fallen Angel must be owned/used to access Deep Silver's I&B servers. Basically, one would be using Deep Silver's servers without having paid for Deep Silver's product (UK version of Sacred 2: Fallen Angel) in which case it might look like a mod or instructions on how to circumvent publishing rights.

Last edited by Valdore : 22.07.2010 at 07:22.
Valdore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05.12.2009, 15:27   (permalink) #4
gogoblender
shiny happy pantless person
Curate

Hey Sakura

Will someone who attempts to use these instructions and who has purchased ice and blood be able to use their newly purchased software with the american version of game?

gogo
Old 05.12.2009, 16:53   (permalink) #5
Valdore
Champion

I can't say, Gogo.

Edit: The Ice & Blood addon servers have been removed from the US closed net lobby.

Last edited by Valdore : 22.07.2010 at 07:18.
Old 05.12.2009, 18:00   (permalink) #6
AgentSmith5150
Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to AgentSmith5150
Well I saved it in case it gets nuked. and *** are they gonna do about it? delete the post, maybe ban the OP in an extreme case. But thats it. I am sure gogo has it saved too. you have to have a legit copy of S2 and I&B for this to do anyone any good. I see no problems, assuming it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelessnoob View Post
...im confused on why VD wont spread.
AgentSmith5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06.12.2009, 01:52   (permalink) #7
Trilkin
Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Trilkin Send a message via MSN to Trilkin Send a message via Yahoo to Trilkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
Looks like instructions on how to mod Sacred 2 files in order to circumvent CDV publishing rights. I would strongly advise against it.
Read them more thoroughly, sweetie-honey-pie. I'm not telling you to mod anything. I'm telling you to change two registry settings, rename a folder and then edit the optionsDefault.txt file.

Also, if you're REALLY going to side with CDV, rather than the actual game developers... I don't even know. I'm not circumventing their rights to do anything - I bought the game and the expansion - both of them legally. I would like to use both of them. I don't care what CDV is doing about bringing their branded copy of it state-side, nor should CDV care about what I do with my legal copy of a game I've already bought from them. In fact, I'd wager they really don't.

Quote:
Basically one would be using the services of the publisher without paying for the service like anyone else. That is assuming one might get away with it.
What services? What are you talking about?

NEWSFLASH: Sacred 2 phones home to the same Securom facility and to the same server farm for multiplayer games no matter what region or publisher. All the publisher does in the case of Sacred 2 is put it in a box and sell it - nothing else.

I wouldn't be so acerbic about this if you weren't spreading completely false information and actually deterring people from using both of their legally bought products the way they were intended to be.

How do I know it's legal? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO ACTIVATE BOTH GAMES THROUGH SECUROM TO USE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. YOU ALSO NEED A SET OF VALID CD KEYS TO MAKE AN ACCOUNT AND PLAY ONLINE.

Not only that, but Ascaron's servers ACCEPT UK I+B keys on US accounts. How do I know this? BECAUSE I DID IT MYSELF.

Last edited by Llama8 : 06.12.2009 at 09:14. Reason: Language
Old 06.12.2009, 02:24   (permalink) #8
Schot
Champion

Awesome info! For those that bought Ice & Blood and then came to the unfortunate realization that it won't work with their U.S. version this topic is a godsend.
Schot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06.12.2009, 02:45   (permalink) #9
Trilkin
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schot View Post
Awesome info! For those that bought Ice & Blood and then came to the unfortunate realization that it won't work with their U.S. version this topic is a godsend.
When I first read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSilver
BE AWARE : THIS EXTENSION IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH US VERSIONS OF SACRED 2 - FALLEN ANGELS.
My heart sunk and I started to panic a bit because, well, I hate wasting money. Then, I remembered how people got the gore back into Sacred 1 by fooling the game into thinking it was the UK version and thought 'well, maybe it'll work for Sacred 2...' Lo and behold...! So, yeah, I know how you guys feel first hand and I hope it helps you!
Old 06.12.2009, 07:12   (permalink) #10
Valdore
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilkin View Post
I'm telling you to change two registry settings, rename a folder and then edit the optionsDefault.txt file. If that's 'modding' to you....
I suspected that it might be viewed as modding not that is is. My apologies if I implied otherwise.

Quote:
How do I know it's legal? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO ACTIVATE BOTH GAMES THROUGH SECUROM TO USE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. YOU ALSO NEED A SET OF VALID CD KEYS TO MAKE AN ACCOUNT AND PLAY ONLINE. Not only that, but Ascaron's servers ACCEPT UK I+B keys on US accounts. How do I know this? BECAUSE I DID IT MYSELF
My concern being that this workaround would be using another publisher's product to access/use Deep Silver's servers when one might be legally obligated to use Deep Silver's product with them. Koch Media/Deep Silver acquired the Sacred brand from Ascaron and controls the Sacred2 servers.

Quote:
I wouldn't be so acerbic about this if you weren't spreading completely false information and actually deterring people from using both of their legally bought products the way they were intended to be.
I wrote that I suspect the workaround might be illegal which is not factual info, just a legality concern.
Quote:
What services? What are you talking about?
I was referring to to the legality concern that the workaround uses the product of one publisher to access/use the product of another publisher. If the workaround is legal, it has my praise as well.

Last edited by Valdore : 22.07.2010 at 07:28.
Old 06.12.2009, 09:25   (permalink) #11
Llama8
Plama8 of the Year 2005 (and Super Moderator)
Gigant

It's a grey area. The "services of another publisher" that Sakura's talking about are the US MP servers, since they're paid for by the publishers (which is why they're still up & running), however, the following statements are correct:

Quote:
YOU HAVE TO ACTIVATE BOTH GAMES THROUGH SECUROM TO USE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. YOU ALSO NEED A SET OF VALID CD KEYS TO MAKE AN ACCOUNT AND PLAY ONLINE.
Quote:
servers ACCEPT UK I+B keys on US accounts. How do I know this? BECAUSE I DID IT MYSELF.
Quote:
I was referring to to the above mentioned legality concern that your workaround uses the product of one publisher to access or use the product of another publisher.
Also, name calling is a) childish & b) unnecessary.
Llama8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06.12.2009, 10:45   (permalink) #12
Trilkin
Initiate

Quote:
If you read closely, I wrote it "looks" like modding not that it "is" modding. As for the determination of what is modding or not is for the moderators to decide not us.
I just... don't understand how this could look like modding. Maybe I'm just thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura
My concern being that this workaround would be using one publisher's product to access/use another publisher's product when one might be legally obligated to use both products of the same publisher. The publishers should be able to answer that question. Another concern: Does payment for Sacred2: Fallen Angel, when using the Deep Silver addon, belong to both CDV and Deep Silver or Deep Silver only?
Considering that the server that you play on is dictated by the original Fallen Angel key, rather than the expansion key, CDV probably has no say in the technical legality of this workaround. Remember, the servers are ultimately run by Ascaron themselves, not the publishers, and it's Ascaron's say whether or not the workaround is legal. Now, they may want to appease the publisher by making an official statement one way or the other, but it's ultimately not the publisher's call - it's the dev's.

The fact that expansion servers even exist on the US servers to begin with also more or less states Ascaron's stance on the issue. As long as the copies of both games are legal in some form or fashion, then you can play on their servers. If CDV doesn't like that, they can pull their contract with Ascaron, but they're still Ascaron's servers at the end of the day, and it's Ascaron's call.

Quote:
As for your accusation of spreading false info, I wrote I "suspect" that your suggestion is illegal which has nothing to do with factual info. There is a reason that CDV has US publishing rights while Deep Silver has UK publishing rights and whether or not, in that regard, your workaround is legal, is then the question.
I apologize, then - that's my fault for not reading thoroughly either. I read your suggestion against the workaround first, which is what incensed me. I always have a tremendous problem with people who try to tell me what I am able to do with my own goods that were purchased through legal channels.

Quote:
I was referring to to the above mentioned legality concern that your workaround uses the product of one publisher to access/use the product of another publisher. If your workaround is not illegal including as for the concerns we debated in this thread, that remains to be answered, your workaround has my praise as well.
Until we get an official statement from Ascaron themselves - who knows. I personally don't see the issue here, but if Ascaron is really keen on keeping their contract with CDV (why, I don't know - they're awful) then they might say 'no, don't do this.' Again, though, the fact I am able to use my UK I+B key on my US multiplayer account tells me that this is legal. It's possible that it's an oversight, but I doubt it for some reason.

Also, Llama, you are such a stick in the mud =( You always were, even back in the Sacred 1 days =( Don't edit my posts =(
Old 06.12.2009, 11:33   (permalink) #13
Llama8
Plama8 of the Year 2005 (and Super Moderator)
Gigant

Quote:
Remember, the servers are ultimately run by Ascaron themselves, not the publishers, and it's Ascaron's say whether or not the workaround is legal.
The servers are run by a third party hosting company & paid for by the publishers, since Ascaron went bankrupt a few months ago.

Quote:
The fact that expansion servers even exist on the US servers to begin with also more or less states Ascaron's stance on the issue.
Was probably a mistake on the hosting company's part, but never mind, I won't tell them ify ou won't.

Quote:
Also, Llama, you are such a stick in the mud =( You always were, even back in the Sacred 1 days =( Don't edit my posts =(
Then don't give me reason to.
Llama8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08.12.2009, 03:19   (permalink) #14
Trilkin
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama8 View Post
The servers are run by a third party hosting company & paid for by the publishers, since Ascaron went bankrupt a few months ago.
<Johnny Carson>I did not know that.</Johnny Carson>

Quote:
Was probably a mistake on the hosting company's part, but never mind, I won't tell them ify ou won't.
Mistakes? Those fine citizens are probably just doing their job... =) I'm surprised Ascaron themselves haven't said anything about this yet. No news is good news?

Last edited by Llama8 : 08.12.2009 at 12:19. Reason: Language
Old 08.12.2009, 06:21   (permalink) #15
Valdore
Champion

The presence of US addon servers should be a standard server ratio:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anca Adelina Finta View Post
I asked Deep Silver about it, at the moment it's seems to be just the "standard server ratio" on all lobbies.