Official Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred Forum
Official Int. Sacred Forum > English Community > Sacred 2: Fallen Angel > S2 Gameplay Discussions > General Discussion  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11.01.2009, 08:49   (permalink) #1
Schot
Champion

Making the best of Booster Slots and Key Bindings in Sacred 2

Well I just couldn't be satisfied with the way things are as far as the way we select spells and weapons using the number keys 1 2 3 4 and F1 F2 F3 F4 so I investigated the options.txt files. Low and behold there is infact a relatively easy way to bind 1 key to a CA and weapon slot. Yes!

The point in this is to take advantage of a Sacred 1 technique coined as "Booster Slots". Booster slots, or boosters, take place in the weapon slots. The basic idea is to use a weapon and shield to boost the level of the CA you want to use. The benefits? Higher CA effect and much lower regeneration. For example:

Normal level of my Cobalt Strike is level 1 and is in CA slot 2. I have a sword and shield that combined give +4 Cobalt Strike and are in my weapon slot 2. I also use a level 1 Frost Flare in my CA slot 3 and sword/shield that gives +4 Frost Flare in weapon slot 3. In my first weapon slot I use a protective/regenerative setup of weapon and shied. You've probably already got the idea but basically I begin my attack with CA/weapon 2, then switch to CA/weapon 3. Both CA will regenerate at a lvl 1 regeneration and both will be cast at lvl 5. Which is really effective.

The problem I was having is that it was difficult to switch using all four or even 5 keys. Keys 2 and F2, 3 and F3 and sometimes having to switch to F1. optionsCustom.txt to the rescue! I searched through the optionsDefault.txt for some examples of bindings and was able to use it to apply changes to my optionsCustom.txt file. For my own play style I want to bind CA slot 1 and weapon slot 1 to a single key and so on for the rest of the slots. To do this I added the below to my optionsCustom file:

optionsCustom.txt is located on your computer at:
(Vista)C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2
or
(XP)C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2

Code:
key_bindings.binding_spell_1 = Key.D1
key_bindings.binding_weapon_1 = Key.D1

key_bindings.binding_spell_2 = Key.D2
key_bindings.binding_weapon_2 = Key.D2

key_bindings.binding_spell_3 = Key.D3
key_bindings.binding_weapon_3 = Key.D3

key_bindings.binding_spell_4 = Key.D4
key_bindings.binding_weapon_4 = Key.D4
D1 = Key 1 on your keyboard and same idea for the rest. D2 = Keyboard key 2, D3 = Keyboard key 3, D4 = Keyboard key 4. If you prefer to use F keys then you would replace D1 with F1 and so forth.

That's pretty much it! This is going to help immensely with my build.

Happy Boosting.

Last edited by Schot : 10.03.2009 at 19:19.
Schot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 08:51   (permalink) #2
gogoblender
shiny happy pantless person
Curate

zomgod
Booster slots for Ca's work in Sacred 2 too?

*runs off to create a myriad of booster slots*

gogo
Old 11.01.2009, 08:54   (permalink) #3
Insignificance
Wanderer

hey sweet find there. some1 beat me to posting this :P been xping for 2 weeks with booster slots now. oh well the secret is out :P
Insignificance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 09:00   (permalink) #4
gogoblender
Curate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schot View Post
Well I just couldn't be satisfied with the way things are as far as the way we select spells and weapons using the number keys 1 2 3 4 and F1 F2 F3 F4 so I investigated the options.txt files. Low and behold there is infact a relatively easy way to bind 1 key to a CA and weapon slot. Yes!

The point in this is to take advantage of a Sacred 1 technique coined as "Booster Slots". Booster slots, or boosters, take place in the weapon slots. The basic idea is to use a weapon and shield to boost the level of the CA you want to use. The benefits? Higher CA effect and much lower regeneration. For example:

Normal level of of my Cobalt Strike is level 1 and is in CA slot 2. I have a sword and shield that combined give +4 Cobalt Strike and are in my weapon slot 2. I also use a level 1 Frost Flare in my CA slot 3 and sword/shield that gives +4 Frost Flare in weapon slot 3. In my first weapon slot I use a protective/regenerative setup of weapon and shied. You've probably already got the idea but basically I begin my attack with CA/weapon 2, then switch to CA/weapon 3. Both CA will regenerate at a lvl 1 regeneration and both will be cast at lvl 4. Which is really effective.

The problem I was having is that it was difficult to switch using all four or even 5 keys. Keys 2 and F2, 3 and F3 and sometimes having to switch to F1. optionsCustom.txt to the rescue! I searched through the optionsDefault.txt for some examples of bindings and was able to use it to apply changes to my optionsCustom.txt file. For my own play style I want to bind CA slot 1 and weapon slot 1 to a single key and so on for the rest of the slots. To do this I added the below to my optionsCustom file:

optionsCustom.txt is located on your computer at:
(Vista)C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2
or
(XP)C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2

Code:
key_bindings.binding_spell_1 = Key.D1
key_bindings.binding_weapon_1 = Key.D1

key_bindings.binding_spell_2 = Key.D2
key_bindings.binding_weapon_2 = Key.D2

key_bindings.binding_spell_3 = Key.D3
key_bindings.binding_weapon_3 = Key.D3

key_bindings.binding_spell_4 = Key.D4
key_bindings.binding_weapon_4 = Key.D4
D1 = Key 1 on your keyboard and same idea for the rest. D2 = Keyboard key 2, D3 = Keyboard key 3, D4 = Keyboard key 4. If you prefer to use F keys then you would replace D1 with F1 and so forth.

That's pretty much it! This is going to help immensely with my build.

Happy Boosting.
You have the game for one day, and look what happens Does this work for Buffs too?

oooh, Bargaining, like in Sacred original has just become the best skill in the game. Must...buy... Plus to all CA's rings...

gogo
Old 11.01.2009, 09:47   (permalink) #5
Xeneonic
Champion

I don't seem to get the point (=understand) of this thread I think.

All the information I could get out of OP is that he says using CA Runes in sockets give the same effect but only half the cooldown penalty. That's one point that's pretty well known (In the HC community at least). And the ability to link a CA slot with a weapon slot.

So what I don't understand is the part of "Booster slot".

Edit: After reading through the third time (Sorry, woke up 10 mins ago and still on my cup o' coffee before I hit Sacred 2) it seems you don't get ANY cooldown penalty at all when using CA Runes in weapons?
Xeneonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 11:46   (permalink) #6
Arperum
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneonic View Post
I don't seem to get the point (=understand) of this thread I think.

All the information I could get out of OP is that he says using CA Runes in sockets give the same effect but only half the cooldown penalty. That's one point that's pretty well known (In the HC community at least). And the ability to link a CA slot with a weapon slot.

So what I don't understand is the part of "Booster slot".

Edit: After reading through the third time (Sorry, woke up 10 mins ago and still on my cup o' coffee before I hit Sacred 2) it seems you don't get ANY cooldown penalty at all when using CA Runes in weapons?

The thing is that he has some +to a certain CA(1) on one weapon set, and + to another CA(2) on some other weapon set, thus when casting CA1 he switches to slot 1, so the bonus gets applied, then after casting, he switches to slot 2. so at this time the first CA is back at its unboosted level,so it regens at the speed of that lower level(wich is clearly lower then the higher lvl one), analogue for the CA in slot 2
Arperum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 11:48   (permalink) #7
Amble
Champion

Send a message via MSN to Amble Send a message via Yahoo to Amble
The point is to have specific weapon/shield sets that boost a single CA.

IE you have Blazing Tempest in CA slot 1 and Incendiary Shower in slot 2

You can make your weapon slot 1 socketed with lots of Blazing Tempest runes (much easier to get than +all CA or +aspect items and easier to socket) and a weapon slot 2 to do the same for IS... By default pressing 1 or 2 to switch CAs will not switch weapon slots the same as was possible in Sacred 1. He's suggesting changing the hotkeys to switch weapons to the same keys bound to the CA slots so that in the heat of battle when you switch CAs you also switch weapons without having to press 2, then F2 and maybe 3 then F3, then back to 1 and F1.
While it's true most dragons are cruel, the Shivan Dragon seems to take particular glee in the misery of others, often tormenting it's victims much like a cat plays with a mouse before delivering the final blow.
Amble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 15:39   (permalink) #8
diabetikeren
Trainee

Was possible in S1 so it isen't really mind boggling that you can do it in S2 just as easily, still is nice though ofc. ^^
diabetikeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 18:16   (permalink) #9
gogoblender
Curate

I'm beginning to see crazy possiblities with this. Would this work for boosting Ca's within Combos for instance? Would I be able to cast an UBER high levelled combo with both entanglement and curse in it to take down bosses faster? I'm not sure a booster would work well for dryad ca's...they're already pretty fast, but for medium level ca regen and buffs....

ahh, the testing

gogo
Old 11.01.2009, 18:53   (permalink) #10
Zinsho
Champion

gogo... I suppose you could, however you have to remember that you have to be ON the combo at the time of casting, not like S1 where you can pump your combo through the roof.
(The other issue I might have personally with this idea is the fact that weapons seem to have slightly more trouble switching in combat (even more latency than CAs if not a bit of trouble outright) and you have fewer slots so it really depends on your plan)
Zinsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 19:05   (permalink) #11
Shagsbeard
Champion

The problem I would have with this is that it would affect all of my characters. Some characters often change CA without wanting to change weapons.
Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11.01.2009, 19:44   (permalink) #12
Zinsho
Champion

Then you can set them to the F keys as Schot pointed out, then you can change CAs without changing weapons, whereas changing weapons changes CAs.
Old 17.01.2009, 19:21   (permalink) #13
gogoblender
Curate

This is working marvelously. In fact, too marvelously. The Officer's Saber is an incredible weapon.... four sockets and three of them are gold. It actually gives a bonus CA level to every plus five to all combat arts ring I socket in...make then 18 extra Ancient Barks, 18 extra ca Sinister Predator...all from me just switching to this weapon slot when I cast my buffs. Course I'm now looking for a shield with gold sockets... and Unyielding Wall comes to mind... anyone got an extra one hanging around?

I can see the extra def and modifications from the extra levels with my sigma even after I have switched back to a my normal weapon slot.

This is working out so well in fact, I'm now thinking of making a complete Plus 5 too all CA's Suit and then store it and put it on just before I go hunting...

Has anyone done this yet? I'm expecting diminishing returns... is this worth all the extra work and shopping?

I'm also considering scrapping the level 86 HC dryad and rerolling her with less buff runes eaten and the max ca's possible always socketed into her armor to reduce the regens.

Level 32 Darting Assault with .1 regen possible with this kind of help?

hmmmm

gogo

Last edited by gogoblender : 17.01.2009 at 19:24.
gogoblender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17.01.2009, 19:45   (permalink) #14
Orrie
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoblender View Post

Level 32 Darting Assault with .1 regen possible with this kind of help?

hmmmm

gogo
Now tell me how could you effectively switch to another CA (to have 1st CA level regen) and then switch back to DA within 0.1 sec ?
Orrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17.01.2009, 19:47   (permalink) #15
Zinsho
Champion

He doesn't mean to switch, he means have a high enough level of sinister Predator to get a massive -Aspect Regen, but that's a very low level so that it has virtually no penalty... to the point that he can have a level 32 DA with that massively low 0.1s regen.