Official Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred ForumOfficial Int. Sacred Forum
Official Int. Sacred Forum > English Community > Sacred\Underworld Official Forum > Sacred Discussion: Classic, Plus, Gold, Underworld > S1 MP Discussion  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22.02.2007, 02:53   (permalink) #1
skrobe
Trainee

Sacred Gold v2.28 MP Local LAN problems

Can anyone "shed some light" for me?

I just purchased Sacred Gold, came as v2.24, upgraded from the web to
v2.28. I read through the MP FAQ post and tried all the suggestions of setting ports on my Linksys router, try running the dedicated gameserver.exe file, etc.

I can't seem to get anywhere. When I try to "Create" a Local LAN mp game it goes through it's motions, "testing ports"...then a dialog box says "Game server:up and running" with a "Cancel" button. I've left it at this screen for over 20 minutes, nothing happens. I go to Task Manager and indeed there are gameserver.exe and sacred.exe processes running. If I start the gameserver process first, and then try and create a game, 2 gameserver processes show up in Task Manager.

Am I trying to do something the game cannot do?

Thank you in advance for any help.
skrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22.02.2007, 13:56   (permalink) #2
pocy
Citizen

Welcome to Forum!

Are you behind a firewall? Apparently you are, but have not opened up the ports to allow MP play, be it LAN or on open/closed servers.

All is described here:
http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.c...ad.php?t=19370
Old 22.02.2007, 15:02   (permalink) #3
skrobe
Trainee

No firewalls involved. I disabled the Win XP software firewall and the firewall on the Linksys router is disabled. I'm not trying to connect to the Internet. I'm trying to get a private game between 2 computers on a "isolated" LAN. Thanks for the link, I've already checked it out. I guess I'm under the misconception that Sacred will function this way.

One strange note, before I updated the software to v2.28 it would require that I put the #1 CD in to play. After updating, the CD is no longer required.
Old 22.02.2007, 15:31   (permalink) #4
Carolyn_Hacker
Formerly (before April 1, 2009) Community Management Team
Curate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrobe
I guess I'm under the misconception that Sacred will function this way.

One strange note, before I updated the software to v2.28 it would require that I put the #1 CD in to play. After updating, the CD is no longer required.
Regarding your 2nd note, that's a known thing so won't be contributing to your problem.

Sacred does indeed work like that. It's been a long time since I set it up, but IIRC I may have had to tell my anti-virus software it was OK even for LAN play. I may have also run into some problems by either trying to create the game from the Sacred interface vs. setting it up by running gameserver separately then just joining it when I ran Sacred. At any point in the process did you try:
1) Run gameserver.exe, and configure the game the way you want it (with Sacred not running).
2) Start Sacred, select the MP then LAN options, then look to see if a game appears that you can join (just join, not create)?

As of April 1 2009, I no longer work for Ascaron. For personal contact please PM DaGirl, for forum business please see the Forum Leaders
Carolyn_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22.02.2007, 15:58   (permalink) #5
skrobe
Trainee

Thank you for the tip Carolyn. However the JOIN button is greyed out, no games appear in what I believe is the "lobby".
Old 22.02.2007, 23:27   (permalink) #6
Carolyn_Hacker
Formerly (before April 1, 2009) Community Management Team
Curate

Dang Ok, at this point I'd say attach a DxDiag and hope one of the technical types comes along soon.

As of April 1 2009, I no longer work for Ascaron. For personal contact please PM DaGirl, for forum business please see the Forum Leaders
Carolyn_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23.02.2007, 18:05   (permalink) #7
skrobe
Trainee

I found the answer to my problem here. Apparently others have experienced the same problem before.

http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.c...p/t-39852.html